A $500 check was presented to Vicky Schroeder, the founder of The TAKE 5 CLUB
Take 5 uses your donations to shop for Oshkosh area children in need. They help by providing clothes, shoes, jackets, haircuts, and more for local kids.
Many of us remember a time when we or a friend of ours didn’t have those new clothes for the first day of school, or that jacket that would keep us extra warm in the winter. All of us know that something as simple as a new outfit or haircut can make a lot of difference in how we feel about ourselves.
When Take 5 provides clothing to a child, that child can look in the mirror and feel pride and confidence in their appearance. Fitting in with peers, concentrating on learning, making new friendships, and putting on beautiful smiles as they receive your donations. These are all things that we and Take 5 can do to help local children today.
A $500 check was also presented to Meghan Fischer, Operations Manager of the Oshkosh Area Community Pantry
The Pantry is a true resource for those people in our community that need food assistance. The Pantry registers more than 2,000 heads of households per month, touching 5,500 people. Because of cash and in-kind donations, a family of four, on average, takes about 60 pounds of food per month. This shows the pantry is able to give away 120,000 pounds per month. We anticipate, with these numbers, the pantry will distribute over 1.3 million pounds of food and hygiene products to help those in need.
The number of people in southern Winnebago County struggling with food security continues to grow. We will serve at least 66,000 individuals this year, but we don’t stop there. We have several other programs that support our community:
- The Home Delivery Program, which helps people who are aging, or have disabilities, remain in their home for as long as possible.
- The Food for Kidz Program, which provides weekend supplemental food and snack items to up to 250 children for the full 38 weeks of school.
- Nutrition classes, which teach people how to cook, and also provide lessons to stretch their meals and ultimately save money.
- The Pantry provides personal assistance when registering for the Supplemental Nutrition Program.
- The Pantry offers free income tax filing in the spring.
- The Pantry also works very hard to connect people with resources that may allow them to build a self-sufficiency plan that ultimately leads them to an independent life.
As a part of this community, the Winnebagoland Barbershoppers are happy and proud to help support others in need with our fundraisers.